Re: Tables (How hard can it be) ?

Subject: Re: Tables (How hard can it be) ?
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 12:17:13 CDT

At 9:13 AM -0700 5/26/00, Daniel Roberts wrote:
>--- Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
>wrote:
>> I'm afraid it is much harder than that. What if the
>> user enters text past
>> the next tab stop in a multi-column table?
>
>Uh, if we are to follow the behavior of most other
>word processors, the text should fit the frame, NOT
>the frame fit the text.

        I just verified that Microsoft Word (our "example" program)
works as Martin described and as I would have suspected. Frame fits
text in a WP, text fits frame in a spreadsheet.

>I still think if we follow the behavior of other word
>processors, it would become much simpler if we simply
>thought of each cell as a nested AbiWord document
>within the main document, and made the main display
>widget re-entrant, so we could simply make the child
>documents inherit from the main document.

        For the DISPLAY aspect of a table, that MIGHT work - but it
doesn't help with editing since you would have no notion of handling
cross-cell selections or navigation.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65