Re: commit - removed snprintf

Subject: Re: commit - removed snprintf
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 03:07:21 CST

According to Caolan McNamara <cmc@stardivision.de>:

> > > Some of the recently committed code included snprintf calls (spec. in
> > > xap_EncodingManager.cpp). Sadly, snprintf is not yet universally
> > > available, and is not present on PPC BeOS. Therefore, these snprintf's
> > > have been replaced by sprintf. If you (Vlad) desperately want snprint,
> > > then you need to find some way to do it so that PPC BeOS still compiles.
> >
> > I think I have a nice idea on how to cleanly use snprintf on one arch and
> >sprintf on other without using #ifdefs - the use of CPP macros.
>

> Use a configure test and add a snprintf implementation when its not found ?
> its what I do.
>
> test: http://research.cys.de/autoconf-archive/C_Support/ac_func_snprintf.html
> implementation: http://www.ijs.si/software/snprintf/

Just .02 EUR on the question:

1/ libwv require glib because of the MS-ole implementation
2/ glib implement those function

So why not using glib implementation ? For the Mac port, this is NOT a
problem (I'm already using the experimental MacGTK port that includes glib),
but I don't know for the other port. eg, for BeOS, I can remember glib have
been ported, on Win32 too, but what about QNX ?

Note that glib is used by GDK and GTK, but it does not require X at all.

Hub