Re: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced

Subject: Re: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 03:19:34 CST

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 peter.bittner@gmx.net wrote:

 Hi,

 It seems to me that current wv (0.6 or something like that, released a
week ago) has script for converting .doc files to Latex preserving tables,
headings, lists etc. One should explore it - it should be of very
hight qualitfy (and it can be configured externally via "style sheet").
 The names of scripts are
        wvLatex
        wvCleanLatex

> Hi there!
>
> I tried LaTeX for the first time the last couple of days. (RedHat Linux)
>
> It looks nice and is easy to handle if you are familiar with MS Word.
> And what I was really surprised about was its LaTeX export functionality!!
>
> I mean, that's a simple but very effective way to export a Word-like
> document into a LaTeX file just by taking the styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, ...)
> and convert them into LaTeX code (\section, \subsection, etc.).
> And in fact nobody really cares about that the fonts look differently,
> right?!
>
> So, since I wanted to write a document in LaTeX (but wanted to avoid the
> LaTeX-coding itself) I created a simple .RTF-file (with MS Word, sorry! - on
> my girlfried's computer), opened it with AbiWord and did a "Save As... ->
> LaTeX" to get a LaTeX document.
> The whole thing didn't work out for the following reasons:
>
> - the .RTF import does not import the styles (heading1, 2, etc.)
> - AbiWord does not know bullet-lists and numbered lists
>
> For the first (import) thing don't ask me about suggestions! ,-)
> The 2nd, however, - if AbiWord only knew it - could the easily be
> translated (-> to \begin{itemize} ... and \begin{enumerate} ..., respectively).
>
> When will AbiWord be able to do that?
> I'm really looking forward to having a WordProcessor (that can even use my
> mum!! ;->) which is capable of creating (in a simple form at least) a LaTeX
> document!!
>
> Go for it, boyz!
>
> Cheers,
> Peter