Re: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced

Subject: Re: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced
From: Martin Vermeer (martin.vermeer@hut.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 04:01:32 CST

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 09:52:38AM +0100, peter.bittner@gmx.net wrote:
> Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:52:38 +0100 (MET)
> From: peter.bittner@gmx.net
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced
>
> Hi there!
>
> I tried LaTeX for the first time the last couple of days. (RedHat Linux)
>
> It looks nice and is easy to handle if you are familiar with MS Word.
> And what I was really surprised about was its LaTeX export functionality!!
>
> I mean, that's a simple but very effective way to export a Word-like
> document into a LaTeX file just by taking the styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, ...)
> and convert them into LaTeX code (\section, \subsection, etc.).
> And in fact nobody really cares about that the fonts look differently,
> right?!

> When will AbiWord be able to do that?
> I'm really looking forward to having a WordProcessor (that can even use my
> mum!! ;->) which is capable of creating (in a simple form at least) a LaTeX
> document!!
>
> Go for it, boyz!
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hi,

You may want to look into wvWare (wvware.sourceforge.net) which can convert
an existing Word document into LaTeX, or if the precise visual layout doesn't
interest you, into a "clean" LaTeX file.

For writing LaTeX from scratch, may I recommend the LyX word processor?
(Dunno about your mum -- it's not a Word workalike -- but you are gonna love it!)
www.lyx.org.

Martin Vermeer  martin.vermeer@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology
Department of Surveying