LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced

Subject: LaTeX export functionality needs to be further enhenced
peter.bittner@gmx.net
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 02:52:38 CST

Hi there!

I tried LaTeX for the first time the last couple of days. (RedHat Linux)

It looks nice and is easy to handle if you are familiar with MS Word.
And what I was really surprised about was its LaTeX export functionality!!

I mean, that's a simple but very effective way to export a Word-like
document into a LaTeX file just by taking the styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, ...)
and convert them into LaTeX code (\section, \subsection, etc.).
And in fact nobody really cares about that the fonts look differently,
right?!

So, since I wanted to write a document in LaTeX (but wanted to avoid the
LaTeX-coding itself) I created a simple .RTF-file (with MS Word, sorry! - on
my girlfried's computer), opened it with AbiWord and did a "Save As... ->
LaTeX" to get a LaTeX document.
The whole thing didn't work out for the following reasons:

 - the .RTF import does not import the styles (heading1, 2, etc.)
 - AbiWord does not know bullet-lists and numbered lists

For the first (import) thing don't ask me about suggestions! ,-)
The 2nd, however, - if AbiWord only knew it - could the easily be
translated (-> to \begin{itemize} ... and \begin{enumerate} ..., respectively).

When will AbiWord be able to do that?
I'm really looking forward to having a WordProcessor (that can even use my
mum!! ;->) which is capable of creating (in a simple form at least) a LaTeX
document!!

Go for it, boyz!

Cheers,
Peter