Re: MSWord import

Subject: Re: MSWord import
From: Martin Vermeer (martin.vermeer@hut.fi)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 02:38:38 CST

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 11:43:42AM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:43:42 +0400 (SAMT)
> From: Vlad Harchev <hvv@hippo.ru>
> To: Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
> Cc: Dom Lachowicz <cinamod@hotmail.com>, abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: MSWord import
>
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I should say I import english and russian docs without any trouble on RH6.0
> with yesterday's AW.
> But last time I saw text.c from wv I had impression that it wouldn't work on
> RH7 correctly (leading to results you described).
> Are you both using RH7 now?
>
> If yes, all invocations of iconv() in text.c should be hacked to swap bytes
> properly (if they are not already).
>

> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I've encountered a show-stopper: MSWord docs no longer import for me. This
> > > is *not* a bug in wv. I would know... wv still works fine, I've tested it
> > > extensively tonight. All of the characters get re-mapped to question marks,

So, Dom... did you ever get around to fixing the byte order/iconv
problem that was reported for RH7.0 in the wvware list? I see nothing
in CVS, still you claim wv works fine for you (under RH7?)

Your proposal was to use a wrapper like abiword does.

--
Martin Vermeer  martin.vermeer@hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology