Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 13:09:31 CST

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:38:53PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:
>

> > Using << and >> as quotation marks is not a solution. In the united
> > states, where I believe a plurality of Abi users are from, such marks
> > are practically unheard of.
>
> When I started hacking AW, << and >> were used as smartquotes AFAIR. Also
> I've just checked "bitstream charter" and "goth" - the fonts shipped with AW,
> - they only contain "<<" and ">>", so you seem to be wrong.

I just checked both of those fonts, and they do contain the " character. And
I'm pretty sure that you were the one hallucinating about << and >> being the
default before. CVS doesn't indicate anything like that.

> > However, I believe the rest of the patch worked entirely as expected.
> > All of the ? went away, and were replaced by the proper quotes.
> > Therefore, the patch, with that one change, has been committed.
> >
> > However, didn't we used to display the curly quotes when smart quotes
> > were enabled (prior to the current breakage)? This no longer occurs.
> > I, however, may have been hallucinating when I remembered this.
>
> I have a very strong impression that you have been hallucinating :)

Good, then we haven't broken anything additionally. :-)

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: