Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 09:54:40 CST

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:38:53PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:
> >

> > > Using << and >> as quotation marks is not a solution. In the united
> > > states, where I believe a plurality of Abi users are from, such marks
> > > are practically unheard of.
> >
> > When I started hacking AW, << and >> were used as smartquotes AFAIR. Also
> > I've just checked "bitstream charter" and "goth" - the fonts shipped with AW,
> > - they only contain "<<" and ">>", so you seem to be wrong.
>
> I just checked both of those fonts, and they do contain the " character. And
> I'm pretty sure that you were the one hallucinating about << and >> being the
> default before. CVS doesn't indicate anything like that.

 As for '"' in the font: I meant "pretty" ones - the left and right double
quotes looking like {``} and {''} - such are absent in fonts.
 As for << and >> as smartquotes - yes, there is a very big chance that I was
hallucinating. Since you've checked CVS, I conclude that I was really
hallucinating.
 Obviously, then change #if 0 to #if 1 in the following piece of code
#if 0
# define XAP_PREF_DEFAULT_RemapGlyphsTable ...
#else
# define XAP_PREF_DEFAULT_RemapGlyphsTable ...
#endif
 in /src/af/xap/xp/xap_Prefs_SchemeIds.h to restore former value of
smartquotes' replacement.

> > > However, I believe the rest of the patch worked entirely as expected.
> > > All of the ? went away, and were replaced by the proper quotes.
> > > Therefore, the patch, with that one change, has been committed.
> > >
> > > However, didn't we used to display the curly quotes when smart quotes
> > > were enabled (prior to the current breakage)? This no longer occurs.
> > > I, however, may have been hallucinating when I remembered this.
> >
> > I have a very strong impression that you have been hallucinating :)
> >

> Good, then we haven't broken anything additionally. :-)

 :)

 Best regards,
  -Vlad