Re: International Character Input

Subject: Re: International Character Input
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 00:38:31 CST

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:28:28AM -0500, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Linux developer and AbiWord user. I'm interested in adding one of
> my favorite Microsoft Word features to AbiWord: the ability to input
> accented and foreign characters with the keystrokes
> CTRL+punctuation,letter, as in CTRL+',e which produces an E with an acute
> accent mark.

Sounds great.

> I have a few questions:
> (1) It looks like I need to delve in ap_EditMethods.cpp ... am I right?

There are a number of places that you will need to look at.

ap_EditMethods is the actual functions would probably be implemented, or
at least the front ends to them. The ap_LB* files in the same directory
have the actual key bindings.

> (2) Should I try to worry about character encodings or simply hardcode
> the ISO-8859-1 character codes (which is what Microsoft does)?

You absolutely should do the right thing with encodings. Have a look at
xap_EncodingManager.cpp.

> (3) What development environments do people use for editing the AbiWord
> code? Although I love EMACS, it's not so great when you have to
> edit a ton of different files.

What do you mean? Emacs is perfect for all tasks. After I discovered
M-x doctor, I fired my psychologist. ;-)

> Hopefully I'll get this feature added real soon now(TM) and I'll be a hero
> to everyone who has to type in French or Spanish or German, but hates
> changing their keyboard layout :-) Thanks in advance for your advice!

Great. Good to have you aboard.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/