Re: some more info on multi-view list crash

Subject: Re: some more info on multi-view list crash
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 18:47:50 CST

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Mike Nordell wrote:

> Martin Sevior wrote:
> > I think what is happenning is that that fl_AutoNum is trying to start two
> > lists based on the same shd and id number. I think this can be fixed by
> > checking to see if there is already a list defined in the vector of lists
> > in pd_Document.
>
> That would be a fix, but I think it's only a fix for the symptom, not the
> problem. If feasible I'd really like to work on a fix for the problem
> instead of the symptom.

It isn't even a fix. You are exactly right about circular dependencies.
This is the cause of our trouble combined with the fact that the view is
also the controller.

 Much of the code that's in fl_BlockLayout should really be
moved to pd_Document.cpp. fl_AutoNum.cpp
should be moved down to the the piecetable and become pd_AutoNum.

I'll commit some patches that do some refactoring to remove the
circularities. This code is basically a work around the issues you've
mentioned. However as far as I can see they work to first order. I can't
get abi crashes anymore in the List code with just the toolbar buttons.

This is too much work to do right now and can wait till after 0.7.12 which
will be really cool for our users (and our bragging rights) see next post.

Cheers

Martin