Re: Font weirdness

Subject: Re: Font weirdness
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 18:46:26 CDT

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, David Schmitz wrote:

> I am taking a course in classical Greek and with the mid-term coming up
> I thought I'd download some greek fonts and give 'em a whirl under
> Abiword. I tried a couple of different faces; the one which comes with
> the WinGreek 2.0 package and the the Silver Mountain Creek Greek
> typeface. (Both can be obtained at
> http://user.dtcc.edu/~berlin/font/greek.htm ) I came to like the Silver
> Mountain because you can insert diacritical marks as "zero width"
> characters, that is, for example, you can hit the '+' key and a
> circumflex will (ideally) appear over the previous character.
>
> Now, the problem is this: at lower zoom/point size, the display shows
> funky characters instead of looking like it should, but at the highter
> zoom/point sizes everything renders nicely. Examples of this bug can be
> found at http://www.ecsd.com/~david/ugly.png and
> http://www.ecsd.com/~david/nice.png in this example, I typed "o) a)/nqrwpoj"

This is very interesting. The way Zoom works is to change the point size
of fonts. It might be that some of your accented characters are not
present at small font sizes but are at large font sizes. However that
would not explain why the printing works. This part of the code has been
under very heavy development recently. Can you check out a CVS version
of Abi and see if the problem persists? Also can you tell us if "Insert
Symbol" shows the accented characters correctly and if they get inserted
correctly?

Thanks very much,

Martin

PS. If you had asked me if I thought this would work with a standard
0.7.11 release I would have said no so I'm pleasantly surprised already
:-)