Re: The next release?

Subject: Re: The next release?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 11:46:47 CDT

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Here's what we did in wv to fix the RH7 iconv problem:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/wv/text.c.diff?r1=1.7&r2=1.8&cvsroot=wvware
>
> But for obvious reasons, it got rolled back (guy with the patch didn't tell
> me at first that it would only work on rh7). Do with it as you'd like.

Ah just as Vlad suspected, a byte swap in RH 7.0 that is not present in RH
6.2. What a pain!

Does it make sense to fork iconv and just use our own version? Like we did
with wchar functions? Otherwise we need to set up some wrapper around
iconv calls to test what version of iconv is present in our libraries and
choose different code paths accordingly.

Isn't there an iconv included in the Abi distribution for platforms
without one present? Should we just use that for all platforms?

Cheers

Martin