Re: GNOME Office and OpenOffice (fwd)

Subject: Re: GNOME Office and OpenOffice (fwd)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 07:45:24 CDT

Geeze never write emails when you are about to fall asleep. I want to
correct myself.

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> This is certainly not true. Dom asked if Abi should join. I can send you
> his email to openoffce. We misunderstood how things operated. By joining
               ^^^^^^^^^
               the Gnome-Office Mailing list.

> as a company Sun or anyone else pays 10K per year and gets 1 vote. The
> Foundation people thought Dom was applying on behalf of SourceGear. Which
> by their rules would have to pay 10K. By joining as individuals we each
> get one vote. So Dom, me, Sam, Joaquin and John Tunison all joined and I
> am now happy that the Foundation is in place.

Moreover I think that the quality of the candidates standing and
the Foundation structure will help Gnome enormously.

<snip>

> Yeah. I'm anxious to try it out too. However they don't yet have rpms for
> RedHat 7.0 and until we sorted out Abi's problems on RedHat 7.0 I don't
  RedHat 6.2
> want to upgrade.

I want to do this to check out the competition and see what neat features
and ideas we can steal from them. I think KDE made a big mistake in not
building a network aware component architure and not copying bonobo. You
can do really neat things with bonobo. One I'm looking forward to is
running an embeded Abi in a Javascipt Bonobo container within a web
browser. Hey presto I can run Abi at reasonable speed from anywhere on the
net with access to Mozzila. I can send *.abw documents to people and they
can read and edit them in their browser.

Cheers

Martin