Re: Problems from a user..

Subject: Re: Problems from a user..
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 04:15:38 CST

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Larry Kollar wrote:

> Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> >Wow. I don't whether to be flattered or horrified. We haven't yet
> >designated Abi as stable although we try hard to kill crash bugs as soon
> >as we here about them. I wouldn't try to write a Novel in Abi yet.
>
> This is something I've been curious about for a long time, but now
> it's nagging me enough to ask the list. How much effort would it take
> to make a stable 0.8 release? I'd guess fixing known-fatal bugs,
> pruning not-there-yet code, & cleaning up the online documentation
> would about do it.

Actually quite a lot I think. I think getting a stable 1.0 release will
take only an extra 2 months more than 0.80 so I think we should push for
0.90 then do massive bug fixing. Of course bug fixes are always welcome
and I regularly do detours to fix bugs that I judge to be easy to fix.

> AW has been getting more press lately & we're only going to see more
> people like Kimmo who want to *use* it. And for people writing novels
> or term papers or resumes (you know, fiction :-), AbiWord has all the
> necessary features right now.

Well hopefully we can sneak in a 0.7.12 release within the next 10 days.
If Vlad's patch turns out to be as good as it sounds it may well fix the
spell check bugs as well as Kimmo's bugs along with giving us CKJ support.
I'll check it out tomorrow. The List code still needs more work though.
I'll make another post on that. I think I can get Fields in within a week.
It would be great to get gnome-print in too. However we have to draw the
line somewhere. As long as we can get a stable gnome front end the other
features make a 0.7.12 release worthwhile.

In any case I'm confident we can get to 0.90 Real Soon Now. I'm fairly
sure I can get the remaining features listed as required for 1.0 within 2
months. If other people implement them then it will go much faster. After
0.90 I think it will be 1 or 2 months of solid bug fixing to get 1.0 out.
At least for gtk.

Of course once we get to 0.90 Cool New features like Russian and CKJ
support and auto-zoom to fit the page (that is a really cool feature) will
be put on hold until post 1.0. More incentive to fix bugs! However given
that we're not at 0.90 yet these great new features can go in now.

Anyway that's my idea of how things should evolve.

Cheers

Martin