Re: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell

Subject: Re: Proposed POW: Integrate Pspell
From: Kevin Atkinson (kevina@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 02:35:50 CDT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> I assume the main problem with Windows is virtual function's tables.
> Today I've composed a set of macros that can be used for declaring functions
> with behaviour similar to virtual functions (i.e, subclasses can override
> them, and all calls to that function in base classes call that overriden
> function, ect). It's ugly to use, but that ugliness is worth it if it really
> makes dlsym for C++ modules working.

That is only one of many problems. A lot of the problems are the fact
that it is C++ code to begin with. When creating a module the C++ library
needs to some how get linked in properly, this can be a problem because
1) Libtool (multilib branch) doesn't have C++ support for Win32 and Shared
   libraries yet.
2) Most of the time the C++ libraries are compiled as static libraries and
   without PIC code (or the Windows equivalent)

And lot of these can probably be worked out. However I
1) Hate Windows and use it as little as possible
2) Do not have a dedicated machine running Windows and have to dual boot
   to use windows
3) Don't have a clue on what needs to be done

I am hoping that someone else who doesn't all the above points going
against them.

Basically it will take some serious time by someone who has the patience
and know how to get it all working. I will get to it eventually however I
have about 101 things I rather be doing. I also don't have a lot of free
time now that school has started again.

Also keep in mind that only Pspell and its modules need to use compatible
C++ compilers with the C linking. AbiWord and Pspell do not (in theory
anyway)

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net