Re: report on status of AW's i18n patch

Subject: Re: report on status of AW's i18n patch
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 01:29:29 CDT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Just as a clarification:
>
> Export to MSWord *DOES NOT WORK*. I have some code in infant stages in the
> tree to do Word export. It produces crap. Do not expect anything from this
> other than binary garbage. No version of Word can read this. I'm working on
> a real API to export to Word format as part of my wv project
> (wvware.sourceforge.net).
>
> I have draft #1 of an API drawn up which I'll mail to this list tonight. Now
> I just need to implement it :) I plan on doing only plain-text export to
> MSWord97 format to begin with and adding features as I go along. If there
> are any objections, join the wv team and help me code stuff :)

 To tell the truth, I'm happy that AW doesn't export to Word yet - otherwise I
would have to hack for much more time :) Thanks for warning me about current
state of matters.
 Frankly speaking again - why AW wants to export to Word? AW exports to RTF
fine. Or there is a considerable loss of information when exporting to RTF? I
think no since it's used for implementation of cut and paste internally by
AW. Why AW should support spreading of files in that stupid MS format that is
not supported as much as RTF, investing a lot of efforts with a little chance
of success in complete support?