Re: why some dialogs and widgets(!) on unix have fixed dimensions?

Subject: Re: why some dialogs and widgets(!) on unix have fixed dimensions?
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 15:57:23 CDT

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just tested translation of stringset to Russian - it appears that some
> dialogs on unix have fixed dimensions (e.g. font dialog and some others).
> I think this doesn't make sense at all. The dialog can work OK for english but
> will possibly need increase of dimensions. Even more, not only dimensions for
> entire dialog are hardcoded, but the size of individual widgets (e.g. label's
> - that truncates label's text if it doesn't fit into that width) ! (Using
> gtk_widget_set_usize)! This breaks the look horribly if another font size or
> even font used by gtk is selected. So, I see no reason to hardcode dimensions
> of dialogs and widgets.
>
> May I fix this?

These hard coded dialog dimension sizes are all through the gtk dialogs. I
don't like them either but in some cases seemed neccessary to get the
dialog to come out right. Feel free to fix them but please test your
changes with English fonts and other font sizes.

Cheers

Martin

PS. I haven't forgotten your patch but I haven't had a chance to look at
it yet. I'm almost as keen as you to get non-latin lagnuage support into
unix Abi.