Re: debugging AW on Win32

Subject: Re: debugging AW on Win32
From: Tom Briggs (tom@sane.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:57:30 CDT

> So, is there a solution? Maybe someone already composed project file for VC
> (then could you send it me, please) or can someone give a hint on how to
> debug program without having VC project file for it?

   I wish I could find the post in the archives about it, because I know that
that's where I learned this neat little trick from, but here's the brief
synopsis:
   Open VC++, select File | Open and then for the file type choose Executable. Then select the abiword.exe executable, and you can run the executable under
the debugger. If you open source files within the VC++ IDE and set
breakpoints they work just as if you'd set them from within a project.
   VC++ will actually save a .opt file with all the source files you've
opened that are associated with the executable as well as any breakpoints
you've set. It's sort of a backwards way to build a project from an
executable instead of vice versa.

   -Tom