Re: BiDi on Windows - was it tested?

Subject: Re: BiDi on Windows - was it tested?
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 15:32:11 CDT

>>Did you test it on bidi-enabled Windows (e.g., Hebrew)?
>
> I tested on Windows 2000 with Hebrew and Arabic support
>enabled. Word2000 works just fine in entering/editing those
>languages, but Abi isn't working :(.

I saw these tests. To be *extremely* specific, Word2000 remapped some glyphs
- i.e. pressing 'k' turned into a specific hebrew character, as did all of
the keys on the keyboard. For abi, pressing 'k' gave you 'k'. But you could
input the charcters from the insert symbol dialog thus producing the
intended effect.

>> I was warned that the AW bidi handling might clash with the Win bidi
>>support (effectively cancelling each other out).
>
> I don't believe the problem is in BiDi, I think it's a
>general non-Roman language issue. For example, has anyone tested our
>CJK support on Windows??

It's most certainly not a conflict. It basically amounts to "some keyboard
magic needs to happen and isn't happening." And CJK will probably barf on
Win32 until some changes are done to the encoding manager and graphics
classes.

Dom