Re: Patch: Win32 IME support

Subject: Re: Patch: Win32 IME support
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 09:15:26 CDT

Mike Nordell wrote:

> Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> > Well we're using ALT+1,ALT+2,ALT+3 as text size keys. We may
> > need to handle keypad events specially?
>
> Yes. In any other windows application you can use ALT + n, where 'n' is the
> decimal value of either the ANSI codepage or the OEM codepage character
> depending on wether NK_0 was the first number or not. Ehh, not the best of
> explanations. Let's try it like this:
>
> (WM_SYSKEYD+U = WM_SYSKEYDOWN + WM_SYSKEYUP)
>
> WM_SYSKEYDOWN (fAltDown: 1)
> WM_SYSKEYD+U VM_NUMPAD9
> WM_SYSKEYD+U VM_NUMPAD1
> WM_KEYUP VK_MENU
>
> would result in the insertion of a left square bracket ('[') by the next
> message:
> WM_CHAR chCharCode 91.
>
> (yes, this is really the sequence of keyboard messages, just checked using
> Spy++)
>
> This is a clear indication that we must also use WM_CHAR even when we've
> gotten no WM_KEYDOWN.

Another time we should use process WM_CHAR is when some tool is
emulating
keypresses on the user's behalf by sending WM_CHAR to applications.
Microsoft Visual Keyboard is one example that I use often for entering
foreign characters. I am sure this is actually fairly common.

Andrew.

--
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net