Re: Linking against libjpeg ?

Subject: Re: Linking against libjpeg ?
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 12:33:52 CDT

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:11:31PM -0500, Sam TH wrote:
> And, I would suggest making that a criteria for any new feature - If
> you haven't started now, it won't go in 1.0. Period.
> How does that sound?

From 0.9.0 onwards, good. Send all new features to the 1.1 branch :)

Until then, I think it's not reasonable to do this.
AbiWord still has a lot of features in need not expected before the 1.0. The fact that they are still not here, should not mean that they have to be post 1.0.

For instance, tables. It's VERY inportant. So much, that I'd even break the rule of not adding features between 0.9.0 and 1.0 if a good implementation was proposed (in source form).

An other quit important feature would be revisions. Maybe linking up with cvs could be a way to do it, I don't know, but I don't think that we should just take them out of the plan for the 1.0 release.

Also, i'd like to know what is the hurry in delivering a 1.0. Enlightenment (which is either as old as, or older than, abiword and is still in what, 0.17?

Let 1.0 come out when it's ready, and leave *complete* and *tested* releases be called stable (though not feature complete).

This 1.0 trend has brought many a disgrace upon the folk... Gnome 1.0 sucked, Netscape 6.[01] sucks, all because they were released when a 1.0 (or 6.0) was convinient instead of the opensource usual it's ready when it's ready.

I can't consider even trying to convince anyone to use abiword primarily since there are not tables and it's one of the features most ask me about when I show them AbiWord.

Cool your horses... IMHO better a late 1.0 with many successfull stable realeases in the meanwhile, than an early 1.0 which looks like a crippled word processor for anybody used to use MS Word.

Hugs, rms