Re: Linking against libjpeg ?

Subject: Re: Linking against libjpeg ?
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 13:33:33 CDT

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:39:25PM +0200, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2001 18:33:52 +0100, rms@greymalkin.yi.org wrote:
> > For instance, tables. It's VERY inportant. So much, that I'd even break the rule of not adding features between 0.9.0 and 1.0 if a good implementation was proposed (in source form).
> It think that tables is the only feature that everybody misses.
> Besides than that (and even taking that in account), I think that we can
> proud enough of our current feature set.
> I want to remember that 1.0 is stable, not feature complete. There are
> many MANY *MANY* things that I want to see in abiword. By now we just
> have a subset of all the word features (modulo some features that abi
> has and word don't has, but overall word beats us nearly everywhere),
> and word has just a set of the features that I want to see one day in
> abiword.
> PS.: I will not say what features I think should be in 1.0 or not. I'm
> just saying that it will not suck if we ship a rock-solid abi based in
> our current feature set and we call it 1.0.

Well...

Although I don't think it sucks, most people are used to a bad system that crashes and kills days of work. So for them, the bottom line is the features they are used to use. If it doesn't have, it sucks.

> I think that we should focus in speed, low mem usage, and 0 (*ZERO*)
> critical bugs. If microsoft lost me as customer it was because excel
> lost 4 hours of a *very* tedious work.

That's just bad form ;)

> If we can add tables, revisions, equations & floating images/stuff by
> 1.2, we will kick many asses, but let's going to finish first 1.0.

I don't see any reason to have a 1.0 out. Let's have a 0.8 out. Let's have as many 0.8.x as needed. let's say by october we open a 0.9.0. There's no reason to begin the road to 1.0.... this is not a decimal system :) it a version.. it can be 0.10.0, as needed untill one can look at it and say: it *really* deserves a 1.0 version!

As much as I'd like a version 1.0 out, I don't see any point in releasing a 1.0 which only makes us (developers) glad for brewing it, and not the users for not beeing able to really feel the experience.

Again, there's a lot of extremely stable < 1.0 software around the world. There's no need to rush a 1.0

Hugs, rms