Re: JPEG import

Subject: Re: JPEG import
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 17:28:38 CDT

On jeudi, avril 19, 2001, at 12:20 , Mike Nordell wrote:

> I agree.
>
> I just want to add that if we really want this much gfx importing,
> 1) perhaps we're not doing what a WP should do?

I'm not talking about turning Abiword to an image processor. Just to be
able to open as much file as possible to *convert* them to one of the 3
internally supported format (currently only PNG, but SVG and JPEG are
wished).

> 2) we perhaps should have a look at (what I believe started as Jon
> Wättes)
> BeOS' API/interface(s) for imp-/exporting "foreign" bitmaps.

We already have such an API internally. And datatypes created by Jon
Watte have been inspired by Amiga datatypes.... (I don't remember wich
version of BeOS it started with, but for sure it was more than 3 years
ago). Both work on the same principle :-)

The problem is not the API, it is the file format, and with ImageMagick,
in one importer we get almost everything. And there is not much cross
platform image library that so much file format (68 currently) these
days.

Hub