Re: JPEG import

Subject: Re: JPEG import
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 23:11:22 CDT

Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > 2) we perhaps should have a look at (what I believe started as Jon
> > Wättes)
> > BeOS' API/interface(s) for imp-/exporting "foreign" bitmaps.
>
> We already have such an API internally.

Internally doesn't quite cut it from where I stand. I was thinking of the
dynamic loading of .dll/.so/.whatever to be able to just drop "another
dynamic library" into the AbiWord directory and then be able to load other
gfx formats. _That's_ where datatypes would help I think.

In e.g. windows a datatypes lib (dll) could be as small as 4 KB if running
on NT 5 (W2k) or Win98 and handling loading of JPG.

> The problem is not the API, it is the file format, and with ImageMagick,
> in one importer we get almost everything. And there is not much cross
> platform image library that so much file format (68 currently) these
> days.

But it's bloat if you compare to what some platforms have natively. Example:
ImageMagick must have a loader for BMP. Well, win32 has it natively. Are we
to use the 3:rd party library even if we have native capabilities?

Perhaps ImageMagick is so smart as to not even link it's internal loader if
the environment provides it, but it's quite a combinatorial problem to
solve...

/Mike