Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 17:42:51 CDT

At 12:11 AM 4/20/01 +0200, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>Following the idea I have on this matter, ImageMagick[*] could be used
>to convert TIFF to PNG and then, the PNG stream would be displayed by
>the rasterer, which on GNOME will probably be gdk-pixbuf based... (MacOS
>will probably be QuickTime based for example).
>ImageMagick for conversion and gdk-pixbuf for rastering. Both uses
>libpng :-)
>
>Hub
>[*] or libtiff as it is used by IM already.

OK. This gets to the heart of issue T2. Insofar as all of the proposed
solutions:

  - gdk-pixbuf
  - ImageMagick or miniMagick
  - a thin layer of our own

all rely on the same underlying libraries (libpng, libjpeg, etc.) that we'd
be using *anyways*, then it should be pretty easy to choose between them
according to the following criteria:

  - which is someone willing to maintain?
  - which has the best platform coverage?
  - which bloats our binary the least?
  - which is most efficient at run-time? (both speed and memory)

In particular, it sounds like we should focus on the exact APIs we'd be
using, and the code path that gets us in and out of the underlying libraries
as efficiently as possible.

Paul