Re: Graphic Images

Subject: Re: Graphic Images
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 07:50:49 CDT

Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> >
> > >For OLE/Bonobo, I request that there is a requirement to store the latest
> > >state of the object as a picture (choose the best format, SVG coming on
> > >the first row).
> >
> > Yup! Martin and I were discussing this the other night on chat...
> >

> We definately need to store the latest state of of the object as a
> picture. I think it should be a vectore graphics format. The obvious best
> candidate is SVG. Storing as a vector graphics format gives a lossless
> format so we can zoom without loss of defination. It prints without loss
> of definition too. In principle it is smaller than a raster image too.

???
I think that I'm losing something here...
If the component that we're embedding renders non-vectorial stuff (think
in gnome-mines, the gimp, etc.), svg gives us nothing. To me, how/what
it renders, and how/what it uses to store its contents, is the component
model/component businnes.

> However we need a library capable of translating a SVG data stream to an
> image of arbitary resolution (like a 2000 dpi printer..)

yes, independently of the embedding stuff :-)

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net