Re: [Patch] More zh-TW translation updates from ThizLinux :-)

Subject: Re: [Patch] More zh-TW translation updates from ThizLinux :-)
From: Anthony Fok (anthony@thizlinux.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 10:28:51 CST

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:23:30PM +0000, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
> Just wondering. The other possible Chinese locales
> would benefit from the translations we have. We
> now have zh-CN and zh-TW but Hong Kong, Singapore,
> and Macau locales also exist. Each one of these is
> either in traditional or simplified characters so it
> would be a feature for them to use whichever of
> zh-CN or zh-TW is closer for them as they currently
> have no translation.

This is already done. ;-) When we translate zh-TW, it is also for zh-HK
and zh-MO. The zh-CN translation should work with zh-SG too, I guess.
I don't know what magic there is, but when I start AbiWord with
LANG=zh_HK.Big5-HKSCS, it automatically opens up with the correct Chinese
interface. BTW, yes, I can enter the HKSCS (Hong Kong Supplement Character
Set), the HK extension to Big5 too. I just couldn't cut and paste. Hmmm...

(I am from Hong Kong too. :-) Since Hong Kong users have been using
Microsoft Office from Taiwan for years, we share much of the terminologies,
so it is no problem for us to use zh-TW. :-)

FYI, the zh-TW translation is initiated by some free software pioneers in
Taiwan (Chih-Wei Huang et al.). Their translation was probably complete
about the same time last year (November 2000?), but since AbiWord has
changed a lot since then, and since a fellow colleague critiqued that the
AbiWord interface is half Chinese and half English, we decided to do the
revision. :-)

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling
ThizLinux Laboratory   <anthony@thizlinux.com> http://www.thizlinux.com/