Re: It .CRASHED, now what?

Subject: Re: It .CRASHED, now what?
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 08:31:35 CST

Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> Several times I've had AbiWord crash (more than a few times over the months & years).
> On Unix at least, it catches the signal and writes a .CRASHED file. This is good.
>
> But what more can be done? I'd like to see a little bit more about Abi's
> internal state written somewhere, for inclusion in bug reports. Even better would be a
> "fullcircle talkbalk" kind of situation where the user can readily send a bug report.
> Any crash. Any crash at all is a serious matter.

i hear you, ideally it would be much easier to report bugs.

bug-buddy is very good but if i recall you cannot have the .CRASHED and
also have bug-buddy.
usually if you give a good description of how the crash occured one of
the developers can replicate it with a DEBUG build and get the necessary
details.
Actually i think thats probably the answer, if you are willing to help
then grab a nightly/debug build. We dont want to burden the ordinary
user with too much information. There is a command line arguement to
give more verbose information ...

bug-buddy is gnome only and that is very unlikely to change.
I filed a bug ages ago (and i dont know what the current status is) that
after a crash abiword should inform the user of the very useful .CRASHED
file. Its only useful when you realise its there.

(sorry for being so vague, if i was not on 56k dialup i would check the
details more carefully)
Mise le meas
Alan