It .CRASHED, now what?

Subject: It .CRASHED, now what?
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 18:43:05 CST

Several times I've had AbiWord crash (more than a few times over the months & years).
On Unix at least, it catches the signal and writes a .CRASHED file. This is good.

But what more can be done? I'd like to see a little bit more about Abi's
internal state written somewhere, for inclusion in bug reports. Even better would be a
"fullcircle talkbalk" kind of situation where the user can readily send a bug report.
Any crash. Any crash at all is a serious matter.

Even if AbiSource just got a pile of bug reports indicating in which function AbiWord
crashed, trends would soon become clear. Bugzilla could easily be extended (I've done
it before) to include a program counter or function name as the crash location.

Rock solid stability is a goal within the reach of AbiSource, and a distinguishing
factor from other projects (like OpenOffice) that probably can never the same level
of reliability.

Whattayathink?

                        -Bryce