Re: language coordination proposal

Subject: Re: language coordination proposal
From: alper (shullgum@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 14:51:14 CST

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 10:46:59AM -0800, Damon Allen Davison wrote:
[...]
> > You also need to spare some time to go over the list archives, I guess.
>
> Anything specific in the list archives that I missed? I did read them,
> but didn't find out much.

Yes, I think you've missed one localization.

I also think you've missed the absence/inadequacy of feedback and/or
corrective contributions from users of different locales; which I
believe is paramount before introducing any level of coordination to
address this issue.

[....]

> Yes, I missed Turkish; it wasn't in my set of string files from what was
> the latest release two weeks ago. I certainly didn't mean to offend you
> by its omission. Your response to my posting sounds a little strange to
> me, actually quite rude. Perhaps you did not intend this.

I did not mean to be rude. It might be due to a hectic pace I was in.

> To put in my two cents, here is an example of where a file could have
> been improved by putting two native speakers together:
>
> DLG_UFS_StyleRegular="Regulär" -> Normal
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_1="ZERTIFIZIERTE MAIL" -> Rückschein
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_2="VERTRAULICH"
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_3="PERSÖNLICH"
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_4="Registrierte Mail" -> Einschreiben
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_5="SPEZIELLE POST" -> Sonderpost
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_6="VIA LUFTPOST" -> mit Luftpost
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_7="VIA FAX" -> per Fax
> AUTOTEXT_MAIL_8="VIA 24h-ZULIEFERUNG" -> 24-Std.-Zulieferung (also
> sounds strange, native speakers?)
> AUTOTEXT_REFERENCE_1="Als Antwort auf:" -> Ihr Schreiben von:
> AUTOTEXT_REFERENCE_2="RE:" -> Betreff:
> AUTOTEXT_REFERENCE_3="Referenz:" -> Ihr Zeichen:

This is what I was talking about, thank you.

I hope German translators/users will pitch in.

> By the way, the expression "don't hold your breath" is used to mean that
> you should not bother waiting because it will not happen. I think this
> was not exactly what you intended to mean.

That was to address your concerns of "attracting flames, and making bad
blood", I should've quoted it, sorry, my mistake.

regards,
--alper