Re: PATCH: automatic fillin of version number on bug reports

Subject: Re: PATCH: automatic fillin of version number on bug reports
From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 15:41:10 CST

i guess i need to explain myself better

I use Netscape, and netscape uses a program called talkback which when
activated by a crash sends information back to them. Bug buddy is
somewhat like it. (talkback is propreitary i think)
I think there are people who could provide useful information, but that
just wont go the extra mile to fill out a bug report.
If perhaps abiword could output debugging information to a logfile
(not for the stable even numbered releases tho') and the user send this in
the information is crude, but given enough of it a bug should become
obvious. harnessing the power of many poor bug reports is no replacement
for one good thourough bug report but it would be useful nonetheless.

Basically much as i might like to i wont always be using Linux (or Gnome
for that matter) so bug-buddy is not a full solution and even then
im not sure it really provides enough useful information and ends up being
only as good as any other manual report to bugzilla.

So what im trying to get at is some sort of intelligent way to sort the
information, a better way to make use of crap/vague/automated bug reports.

Sorry, i have some vague ideas and im hoping some one will help me tie
them down and i can make something useful of them. i should ask
around on Mozilla and see what thoughts they have.

Alan

On 27 Dec 2001, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> > another thing im wondering about is will users still have to subscibe to
> > post a bug?
>
> I still want users to register in order to post a bug. We need some
> vital bits of info from them, such as their email address in case we
> need to get a document or better description of the bug from them.
>
> Secondly, I do want *some* cost to filing a bug in bugzilla. I'm
> honestly quite tired of lame bugreports, having to weed-out dups,
> missing documents, poor descriptions of bugs/how to reproduce bugs, and
> the like. Already people get offended if I so much as file one bug as a
> duplicate of another! I get personal responses and hate-mail back from

I know what you mean, ive been on both sides of this (although more often
im the one who has just gotten a bug report canned. searching mozillas
bugzilla is not fun and not easy).
i find if you make a short explanation of your reasoning you are less
likely to be flamed. Its annoying when you report what you consider a
very specific bug and it gets marked as a duplicate of a very vague bug.
Its also annoying that the information from a duplicate report is wasted,
rather than added to the bug it is reporting

http://bugzilla.abisource.com
http://abisource.com