Re: PATCH request: edit headers

Subject: Re: PATCH request: edit headers
From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 20:32:13 CST

Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>
> > The edit headers menu items and toolbar can get out of sync.
> > You can even edit a header that's not inserted.
>
> This is a` feature not a bug :-) If a header is not inserted one is
> inserted and the cursor is placed there ready to enter text. The idea is
> to make editting headers/footers as seemless as possible.

Hmmm, I found it confusing, not seamless, probably because it looks
on screen like I'm still editing the document,

> > This quick patch makes the menu & the toolbar ghosting work the same.
> >
> > I'm not convinced that headers & footers actually work at all :-),
>
> Please be specific and enter bugzilla reports for any broken behaviour.

I'm so unsure of what was meant by these features (how they are supposed
to work) that I can't be more specific. Just take the message
"the process of inserting headers, editing them, and returning to normal
is not clear to users, and appears to be non-functional.". On quick
inspection, I concluded the feature was not finished enough to be useful
to me, and I formatted my document another way. Maybe I just did
not have enough patience.

> Your patch looks a little strange to me. I'm not sure why
> VIEW_NORMAL should make the header/footer buttons turn grey. I
> think these should ONLY ever be grey if someone is currently
> editting the same header/footer as the button.
>
> > clear the ghosting of the menu & toolbar should be identical.
> >

> Yes. Maybe the menu's should be fixed here. There is a long standing bug
> with the remove header/footer button not turning grey after a
> header/footer is deleted. Your patch gives me an idea of what the issue
> might really be. Maybe we need to define an action function like you've
> done.

The patch is quite simple. It takes the ghosting logic from the menu,
and uses it for the toolbar.

It might be that BOTH the menu and the toolbar are now wrong. If so
both should be fixed. In no case should the two use different ghosting
logic.

It's a coding erorr risk that the ghosting logic uses parallel code.
The menu, the shortcut, and the corresponding toolbar icon should behave
identically. In AbiWord all three can act differently.

                        -Bryce

PS: Check the "AV_CHG_" flags for both the menu & the toolbar. They ought
to be identical. I suspect a problem here is the cause of your long standing
bug.