Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat

Subject: Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 17:55:20 CST

At 08:06 AM 2/2/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>Made the CVS repository smaller by removing the xmlwf directory (an
>application of expat we don't use) from expat.

Sam,

I think you and I have had this debate before, but are the space savings
really worth it?

It's one thing to add code to our distribution of someone else's library --
forking to make our build system easier isn't pleasant, but I can totally
understand why the expat maintainer wouldn't be interested in that patch.

However, I really don't like the idea of distributing a fork which *deletes*
working code from someone else's library. Imagine the poor hacker out there
who:

  - wants to use expat for something else,
  - knows she's already got a copy from us, and
  - eventually figures out that part of it is missing.

Ick. You explain it to her. I don't want to.

Paul,
the grumpy one