Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat

Subject: Re: commit -- removed unused directory in expat
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 23:23:29 CST

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 03:55:20PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 08:06 AM 2/2/01 -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> >Made the CVS repository smaller by removing the xmlwf directory (an
> >application of expat we don't use) from expat.
>
> Sam,
>
> I think you and I have had this debate before, but are the space savings
> really worth it?
>
> It's one thing to add code to our distribution of someone else's library --
> forking to make our build system easier isn't pleasant, but I can totally
> understand why the expat maintainer wouldn't be interested in that patch.
>
> However, I really don't like the idea of distributing a fork which *deletes*
> working code from someone else's library. Imagine the poor hacker out there
> who:
>
> - wants to use expat for something else,
> - knows she's already got a copy from us, and
> - eventually figures out that part of it is missing.

Ok, the situation with expat is kind of strange. (I've spend a good
bit of time over the last 24 hours hacking expat.) Their CVS tree
includes about 4 different directories with sample program. It should
be noted that none of them actually built properly (although that was
easy to fix). Only one of those programs (xmlwf) was distributed with
1.95.1, the version currently in our tree. I have to say that I find
it extremely unlikely that anyone would come looking to our version of
expat so that they could build a tiny application, distributed to
demonstrate how to use expat, which canonicalizes XML. However, if
you continue to object, I'll probably put it back in. I won't put in
the other stuff in expat cvs that's not in our tree, though.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
        GnuPG Key: