Re: commit -- focus change

Subject: Re: commit -- focus change
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 18:16:44 CST

At 03:03 PM 1/21/01 -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>Remove boneheaded behavior of making the selection disappear when
>focusing out the window. This is especially bad when using mouseover
>focus. This behavior made it difficult to be working in another window
>and selecting things on the unfocused window as a "hiliter" for
>yourself, since selections would disappear as soon as you unfocused
>the window.
>
>Perhaps it _would_ be a good idea to tint selection color somewhat
>if the window is unfocused, making it an obvious indication that the
>window is not focused (but isn't that what the window manager is for?)
>but allowing the selection to remain visible.

Aaron,

Granted. I've seen tinted selections done well on various platforms (few of
which have as much "richness" as the extended family of X focus models).
I've also seen it done very, very badly.

Could you spec what your desired behavior is? Feel free to crib as much
vocabulary as you'd like from the original design posts: