Re: Questions about web page

Subject: Re: Questions about web page
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 04:17:21 CST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 08:53:07PM +1100, Ashleigh Gordon wrote:

> Since I'm going to update the web page, I have a few questions.

> Is there still a company(Sourcegear) that is actively promoting and
selling Abiword? I was under the impression that they had pulled
out. THe web page currently looks like they are still in charge.

There are two companies referenced on the web page, SourceGear and
AbiSource. AbiSource no longer exists, and references to it should be
changed. SourceGear is no longer actively developing AbiWord,
although they do continue to provide a number of important services
for AbiWord, including hosting the machine that runs the web page, and
the cvs archive, etc.

Many of the references to SourceGear should probably be removed, but I
would like clarification on the following issues before we do that.

1) What does sourcegear think? I've cc'd Eric Sink, the CEO, so
maybe he can answer.

2) Lots of the references to SourceGear have to do with copyright
issues. Much of the material on the web pages is not copyright
SourceGear, but most of it is. Most of the rest is copyright me, Sam
TH. What policy should we have about the copyright notices?

This relates to the problem of the copyright notices in the source
files, which are mostly outdated and now inaccurate.

> Should the references to other Abi products, such as the spreadsheet
etc. still be there? What about the link to the store?

I don't know about the other products that are off in the future. I'm
sort of undecided as to whether we should remove references to them,
but it's clear no one is currently working on them.

I will remove the reference to AbiCalc in Bugzilla.

References to the store, which only exists internally to the webserver
currently, should be removed.

> Should I include links to the POW and the new uPOW(which I think is
a godd idea) in the main page?

I think a link to the POW page is a good idea. It should probably go
in the developer links in the sidebar, as well.

I will put up links to the uPOWs on the POW page soon.

> Is it OK if I use frames? This will save me quite a bit of work. Or
should there be both?

I don't think we should change the design of the site significantly.
The current site runs on PHP3, and uses tables. It's pretty easy to
handle, and doesn't look too bad. So I'm against frames.

Have you looked at the internal PHP source code, Ash? That should
alleviate your fears.

As for CVS access to the web page code, send me private mail and I'll
take care of it.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/