Re: ttf printing

Subject: Re: ttf printing
From: ha shao (hashao@chinese.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 05:57:57 CST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 09:13:20AM -0000, tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net wrote:

> My problem with the PS fonts that contain more than 255
> characters is that the XFree font server does not seem to be aware
> of the characters > 255, so I cannot actually display them on the
> screen; we could print them using their names, as Vlad found out,
> but that seems somewhat academic if we cannot display them.
>
> If I am wrong about this, and you know how to register such a PS
> font with the XFree server so that it would appear to it as a Unicode
> font, please let me know (try xlsfont -ll -fn 'fontname', if in the
> output it says min_byte1 = 0 and max_byte1 = 0, then the font will
> be treated by XFree as an 8-bit-only font.)

I don't really know. But I think X server really don't know about
if a font is an Unicode font or not. It just looks up glyphs in the
font. Sure you cannot use single byte drawing functions to draw a char
greater than 255. Have you tried with XDrawString16 seriel of functions?
Just contruct the right XChar2b and draw glyph with it. "xfd" gives
the right index of glyphs in a font.

Of course use XDrawString16 directly broke Xlib's i18n. Then you
have to handle i18n yourself. unless those > 255 chars are just
some symbols, signs.

If it cannot, maybe the Type1 font driver in X does not know about
font with more than 255 chars.

The encoding information is used when doing i18nized drawing. like
fontset.

Maybe I mis-understood what you said.

Oh, my xlsfonts -ll -fn 'font name' does not give me any
min_byte1 max_byte1 entries.

--
Best regard
hashao