Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]

Subject: Re: Optimization Opportunities 1 [long]
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 10:42:14 CST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 05:38:22PM +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
> Sam TH wrote:
> >> The fread() is a potentially very costly operation. Do "we" control the
> >> FILE*? [...]
> >
> >In what sense do you mean "own"?
>
> Do we, Abi code, open (fopen() ) that file stream.

Yes.
But I think using mmap() somehow would be better, and only opening the
file once a spell check is initiated (unless, of course, interactive
spell checking is on).

Apparently pspell already uses mmap(), which is good because among
other things the dictionary can be shared more effectively between
processes.