Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)

Subject: Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)
From: Randy Kramer (rhkramer@fast.net)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 08:59:21 CST

<1000 times>
I will remember to hit Reply: All to reply to the AbiWord list.
I will remember ...
<then>
I will remember to replace Mike Nordell with abiword-dev in the To:
I will ...
<end>

Yes, it sure looks like it! And they recommend it for editing code --
neat! (I once did a Visual Basic project in Word, partly to make it a
literate program but also to use the collapsible outline feature.)

For anyone who's interested, see
http://www.cawley.demon.co.uk/lang.html. Read the section "Folding -
and generalized folds". See this example:

<begin quote>
However, one could also fold within a line. For example, it is surely
informative to replace the code fragment

        (today.day >= MONDAY) && (today.day <= FRIDAY) &&
!today.is_public_holiday()
with
     today is a working day
especially if the more legible but less precise formulation can be
unfolded instantaneously into the exact representation, should that be
needed.
<end quote>

Mike -- have you ever used a folding editor? Was it useful? If not,
was it because the concept was not useful or because it wasn't, for
example, integrated with an IDE?

Randy Kramer