Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)

Subject: Re: outlines vs. lists (was Re: Commit: Various Lists UI improvements.)
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 10:23:27 CST

At 9:59 AM -0500 2/6/01, Randy Kramer wrote:
>Mike -- have you ever used a folding editor? Was it useful? If not,
>was it because the concept was not useful or because it wasn't, for
>example, integrated with an IDE?

        I'm not Mike, but I use a folder editor pretty frequently,
and it's VERY useful for editing source code since I can close up
blocks that I'm not currently interested in to see more logic w/o
scrolling.

        In an outliner, folding of "heads" is appropriate for the
same reasons - you want to see more of the context w/o scrolling. But
I don't think we need folding in AbiWord for 1.0 - though if we do
want to provide outliner functionality (either as a sectional element
or as an alternative view) we WILL need it at some point.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65