RE: commit -- libglade support

Subject: RE: commit -- libglade support
From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@celium.net)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 13:15:05 CST

Paul wrote:

> Joaquin,
>
> What took you so long? ;-)

my girlfriend was disturbing me :-)

> Seriously, this sounds very promising. Insofar as glade is the
> de facto GUI
> builder for GTK and GNOME, I'm glad to see us taking steps to
> make it easier
> to use glade output like we use resource editors on other platforms.
>
> A few questions I may have missed in your min-FAQ:
>
> 1. Is libglade a build-time or run-time dependency? If it's just a
> build-time dependency, then users won't need libglade installed,
> and there's
> unlikely to be much (if any) bloat to the executable.

run-time. But anyway there are (nearly) no bloat. Just a bit the first
time the user opens a gladeified dialog, and it's impossible to see the
difference even in a old 486 (in fact, I'm pretty much sure you can see the
difference even in a 386, but I have no 386 :)

And yes, the users should install libglade. But happily enough, there are
many applis out there that depends in libglade, and pretty much everybody
with gtk+ has libglade installed (for instance, gnumeric depends in
libglade).

> 2. What's dependency on gettext does this introduce? I'm unclear on how
> this interacts with the i18n mechanism still being used elsewhere
> in the app
> -- particularly on other platforms. Dialog strings should still
> only have to
> be localized once for all platforms.

I will explain that point a bit more in a few hours... (I have to return to
home right now)
(but we can introduce gettext *without* touching the non-unix platforms).

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca@celium.net