Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 08:09:02 CST

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001, Tim Allen wrote:
>You often send abiword files to the list. I notice your mailer always seems
>to set the mimetype to application/octet-stream. Would it be possible to
>educate your mailer about abiword documents? And, for that matter, I think
>we'd probably also need to educate the Apache server at www.abisource.com,
>so it knows that abiword is a valid mime-type (ie add it to the mime.types
>config file) and browsing of the mailing list from the archives would work.
>One minor detail - what is the Abiword mime-type? I guess something like
>application/x-abiword would be a reasonable stab at it. Or do we want to
>register it officially, and hence lose the 'x-'? Or even, has someone
>already registered it?

Me, when I send an Abi file, Kmail sets it to text/html and I change it to
text/abiword. That makes more sense to me than application, since Abi and HTML
files are both instances of SGML or XML and consist of printable characters.

On the other hand, the mime type for PostScript is application/postscript.

phma