Re: Mime-types

Subject: Re: Mime-types
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 19:10:02 CST

>I have to say, given that Word goes to some lengths to have small data
>structures (or so I thought, is that right Dom), they don't compress
>the text at all. Seems sort of strange. Too bad for them.

This is correct, Sam. Word has all of these structures to save data.
Basically, they have a concept of a SPRM (single property modifier). A SPRM
is contained in a GRPPL (group of property modifiers). Basically, a SPRM is
a mask to tell you what field in a structure to change and the changed
value. So Paragraph Properties (PAPs) are stored as Diff's to PAPs (PAPXs)
and save something like 50x the size.

Text is not compressed however. Word's "fast save" format results in even
larger files...

Dom