Re: libglade is evil

Subject: Re: libglade is evil
rms@greymalkin.yi.org
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 20:30:53 CST

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:37:58PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> bash-2.04# apt-get install libglade0-dev
> gnome-libs-data libart-dev libesd0-dev libglade0 libglade0-dev libgnome-dev
> libgnome32 libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27
> libxml-dev
> By using libglade, you are turning gnome into a build-dependency! You
> are making GNOME a requirement for AbiWord and destroying GTK-only
> support.
> Grrrrrrrrrrr

Cool down fella...

Let's check something up:
 In ABI_OPT_GNOME=1 gnome is *already* a requirement.
 So, IF glade is allowed on ABI_OPT_GNOME=1 only, I can't see too much of an inconvinience.

OTOH, if, as someone from redhat has already pointed out, we're talking about dependencies on gtk+ 2.x and gnome 2.x, then altering gnome to use libglade will be bad.

In the other case, it won't.
And I can't see what the fuss is all about, if it is done with something like ABI_OPT_GLADE=1 *** YOU NEED ABI_OPT_GNOME=1 AND packages X Y and Z.
All the rest could be done the usual way.

hugs, rms