Re: Commit: Mac portability

Subject: Re: Commit: Mac portability
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 04:13:19 CST

Paul Rohr écrit:

> I agree with Sam's earlier post -- by all means, do whatever it takes to
> scrub the sources to make Abi work with yet another compiler. For the time
> being, ifdefs are a fine solution.
>
> However, over the long term, I'd love to not have to maintain
> compiler-specific ifdefs for stuff like this unless:
>
> - it's clear that the compiler is irretrievably broken, and

It's clear. I wish I wouldn't have to work around this, but I have no choice
as MPW/MrCPP is the only free (of charge) solution to build AbiWord. I don't
really want to support Metrowerks only given their current policy and
software quality.

> - there's no reasonable, valid C/C++ idiom we can use as an XP solution.

There are probably some ways to work around in a way that would satisfy
everyone, but currentl don't want to take the risk of breaking the current
code base.

> Now I'll duck and let the language lawyers on the list have the necessary
> technical flamewar defining "broken", "reasonable", and "valid" for this
> instance. (Just keep it brief, OK?)

There are probably some practices oriented toward gcc extensions, that are
supported by other vendor. The problem is that MrCPP (based upon the
Symantec C/C++ compiler) is really late and does not really evolve.
Plan B will be to provide a makefile modifications that will allow compiling
using Metrowerks Compiler for MPW (included with CodeWarrior) unless there
is a viable gcc port aroubd.

Hub