Re: Commit: Mac portability

Subject: Re: Commit: Mac portability
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 08:26:35 CST

At 10:13 AM +0000 2/12/01, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>There are probably some practices oriented toward gcc extensions,
>that are supported by other vendor. The problem is that MrCPP (based
>upon the Symantec C/C++ compiler) is really late and does not really
>evolve.

        Yup, MrC is pretty much a dead end at this point (as is MPW
for that matter). Although I understand the desire to compile/build
AbiWord with a free development system, I think we may be shooting
ourselves in the foot by doing so - not unlike how our Wintel folks
prefer to use the VC environment over CygWin.

>Plan B will be to provide a makefile modifications that will allow
>compiling using Metrowerks Compiler for MPW (included with
>CodeWarrior)

        I would DEFINITELY suggest going that route.

>unless there is a viable gcc port aroubd.

        Well, Stan Shebs, the guy who did the original gcc for Mac OS
port and then went to work for Cygnus is back at Apple....

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65