Re: Commit: Mac portability

Subject: Re: Commit: Mac portability
From: Sam TH (sam@uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 12:00:02 CST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:26:35AM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 10:13 AM +0000 2/12/01, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> >There are probably some practices oriented toward gcc extensions,
> >that are supported by other vendor. The problem is that MrCPP (based
> >upon the Symantec C/C++ compiler) is really late and does not really
> >evolve.
>
> Yup, MrC is pretty much a dead end at this point (as is MPW
> for that matter). Although I understand the desire to compile/build
> AbiWord with a free development system, I think we may be shooting
> ourselves in the foot by doing so - not unlike how our Wintel folks
> prefer to use the VC environment over CygWin.
>

> >Plan B will be to provide a makefile modifications that will allow
> >compiling using Metrowerks Compiler for MPW (included with
> >CodeWarrior)
>
> I would DEFINITELY suggest going that route.

Well, it should be noted that we do require metroworks for the beos
ppc build (not that we have tested that build in a month).

> >unless there is a viable gcc port aroubd.
> >
> Well, Stan Shebs, the guy who did the original gcc for Mac OS
> port and then went to work for Cygnus is back at Apple....

Well, Stan is working on the gcc port for OS X. GCC will be *the*
compiler on OS X. However, there will *never* be another port to
pre-OS X macs of gcc. this was discussed on the gcc list a few months
back, and that was the consensus.

        sam th
        sam@uchicago.edu
        http://www.abisource.com/~sam/