Re: Is there any opposition to a debian/ top-level subdir?

Subject: Re: Is there any opposition to a debian/ top-level subdir?
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:57:28 CST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:57:36AM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> At 10:31 PM 2/11/01 -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> >We need this to be a native Debian package. If no one minds, I will
> >add it.
>
> We've worked hard to keep the top levels of the tree and minimize directory
> fanout, so I'd prefer to leave any distro-specific stuff in the master
> sources here:
>
> abi/src/pkg/linux/deb/

I know, I know, and I very much agree.

Debian works by reading files out of the debian/ directory. If such a
directory existed, AbiWord could be a native debian package. Right now
it is not and the debs require diffs adding the debian/ directory.

This isn't a major problem, but it makes it far more awkward to
maintain the debs. In particular, they must be synced with upstream.
This wouldn't happen if the package was "native", i.e. the packaging
tools could find the files they needed in the debian/ directory
without needing a patch to add it.

It's up to you. Right now a debian/ subdir actually wouldn't gain us
much since Debian's packaging tools need packages to be based on one
tarball and we have abi, expat, unixfonts, etc..., so the tarball has
to be specially crafted specially for debian anyway.

If both of these problems were fixed, the original abiword tarball
could be uploaded to debian with no patching or rearranging of files.
This has obvious administrative benefits.