Re: Counting bugs...

Subject: Re: Counting bugs...
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:51:39 CST

At 06:02 PM 2/12/01 -0500, Thomas Briggs wrote:
>> Upgrading bugzilla is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, I've never
>> adminned a bugzilla system before, and thus am not entirely sure what
>> I would need to do. Does it just involve replacing the current
>> contents of the bugzilla directory (which is just a bunch of perl
>> scripts) with the newest version from Mozilla CVS? Do I have to
>> change the MySQL setup (eeek)?
>>
>> Anyone dealt with this before?
>
> I haven't actually done it, but we upgraded our bugzilla installation
>here at work a couple months ago; I'm pretty sure I remember the guy who did
>it telling me that it wasn't as bad as he expected it to be.
> And yes, I believe that modification of the database is necessary (I
>don't think it's that big of a hassle when dealing with MySQL though).

Upgrading to a more conventional version of Bugzilla would be awesome -- as
mentioned previously, I'm particularly impressed with what the Eazel folks
have done with theirs.

One hidden issue you may stumble across is that Bob customized the schema
somewhat from the standard install. Thus, there might need to be some
mapping of content or categories to any newer setup.

I doubt that these customizations are very extensive, but you'd have to
compare individual bug reports from our setup with somebody else's to see
how different they are.

bottom line
We have an idiosyncratic and out-of-date Bugzilla setup. It seems to work
well enough, but nobody understands it.

I suspect that going through the one-time pain of upgrading to something
more standard and maintainable would eventually be worth the intervening
pain.

If we're ever going to do so, sooner is much better than later. The more
popular our product gets, the more likely it is that users will want to add
bugs, which just increases the pain of switching later.

Paul