Re: Is there any opposition to a debian/ top-level subdir?

Subject: Re: Is there any opposition to a debian/ top-level subdir?
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 19:13:52 CST

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:44:05PM -0800, Paul Rohr wrote:
> I thought the whole point was to produce a Debian-format package --
> basically a tarball with a specific format, no? -- that could be uploaded to
> wherever official Debian things live. (Just because our stuff lives in CVS
> in a slightly different format shouldn't matter.) This activity would
> happen whenever the Debian maintainer wanted a release blessed with the
> magic Debian holy water.

No.

The Debian developer is not the only one who compiles the packages. A
cluster of computers called the build farm does it too. It isn't OK to
have custom compilation instructions.

To reiterate again, I was pointing out that it would simplify
maintenance slightly to have a debian/ dir. This doesn't fit with our
heirarchy policy, so I will drop it. I'm not like some libglade freak
that argues on and on forever against the consensus ;-).